Nike ‘stands up’ for Colin Kaepernick

Nike ‘stands up’ for Colin Kaepernick

Tianah Miller, Staff Writer

“Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.”

This is the slogan that has divided a nation, again. But for the most part, AIC students seem to share the same opinion about the controversy: They approve of Nike’s ad and stand behind Kaepernick. Of course, there are some who say they understand both sides of the argument and a select few who claim to be indifferent on the subject.

Colin Kaepernick began to kneel during the national anthem, in 2016, during his NFL football games.

Kaepernick played for the San Francisco 49ers at the time, and thought this was a way he could bring awareness to social injustice in America. He became a free agent at the start of the 2017 season but did not get signed by any NFL team.

Now, Colin Kaepernick is suing the National Football League because he said he was blackballed by the NFL coaches.

The nation was, and still is, divided by Kaepernick’s gesture to bring awareness to social injustice. One side believes that it is disrespectful to kneel during the National Anthem, while others feeling that it is his right to do so.

Like many otherse, AIC junior Oshinofa Lakoju stands solidly with Kaepernick.

“I agee with him,” Oshinofa said. “It was really different for Nike to back someone like Colin because his social presence and outspokenness. But Nike is confident in their brand, so they will still profit from it.”

Another student, junior Nadia Wooten, agreed with Lakoju.

“I think it is a great idea,” Wooten said. “I think Nike is woke to black issues that are occurring today.”

Other students on campus simply will not take sides.

One is Alyssa Guyon, who said, “I’m not for it and I’m not against it. I can see the argument on both sides.”

Like Guyonm a few other students saying they are impartial on the matter.

Many students said they do not have an opinion on the subject but will continue to wear Nike clothing items. After many conversations with students, it appears to be unanimous that most students say they will continue to wear Nike no matter how they feel towards Colin Kaepernick or the subject that comes along with his name.

For America, it is not as simple as some of the AIC students make it out to be. A lot of Americans feel they cannot support a brand that supports Kaepernick so they have decided the best way to ‘take it’ to Nike is by burning any Nike gear that they have previously bought and will no longer buy from the company.

Nike’s stand to support Kaepernick has definitely brought up a conversation about the way he is choosing to stand up for what he believes in. It is more than just a kneel to many people. Those same individuals believe that it is disrespectful to the flag and to the troops that fought for that flag.

The other side of the argument is that he has the right to do it because the people that fought for America’s freedom, they fought for everyone’s freedom and when a group of people feel that they are not being treated fairly it should be brought to light. What Colin Kaepernick has done, has shed tremendous light on social injustice no matter what side you are on.

According to The Guardian, Nike’s sales have gone up 31% just days after releasing the ad. Nike may have caused controversy by using Kaepernick but they have definitely benefited from the conversations being had.