P.R.I.D.E. & AIC Radio transform culture at AIC

Ave Mullen, Staff Writer

Everyone has a voice at AIC, but how effective is it?

With students of all backgrounds merging under one setting, it can be difficult to create an environment that represents and supports everyone. It takes the effort of our sponsors, administrators, faculty, and the students themselves to make AIC truly an international college. Student organizations such as P.R.I.D.E and AIC Radio are striving just for that.

September 28 marked the 49thbirthday of the student organization P.R.I.D.E., which stands for Persons Ready in Defense of Ebony. In celebration of how far the organization has come since 1968, students came together in the Hive Student Lounge to remind everyone of P.R.I.D.E.’s purpose and how we all can contribute to expand the culture at AIC.

“I am passionate about P.R.I.D.E. because I know how important it is to make the voices of the unheard, heard,” said Oshinofa Lakoju, or Nofa,a juniorand president of P.R.I.D.E.

Her name means God is supreme in the Makeke language,and she is a Criminal Justice major.

“I love the idea that P.R.I.D.E. is about establishing a beautiful and free space for students of color, while being able to openly educate people who may not understand our experience,” Lakoju added.

The celebration included cupcakes, food, and music by AIC Radio. AIC Radio and P.R.I.D.E. have a lot in common with both teams working to transform the culture of AIC. With music being a universal language, they hope to use it as a platform to make all students feel included and comfortable on AIC’s campus.

This year, AIC wants to introduce their new playlist with more diverse genes of music like pop, Latin, and Soca! Students and faculty can now enjoy music on the Quad every C-hour on Thursdays, home football games, and during dinner in the in the Dining Commons.  P.R.I.D.E enjoyed AIC Radio’s new playlist and AIC Radio supports the goals and ambitions of P.R.I.D.E.

“P.R.I.D.E. this year is going to be more involved in the community and on campus,” said Jamila Davis, a junior and the publicity coordinator of P.R.I.D.E.

Davis is a Biochemistry major from Boston.

“We have a lot of events planned and we hope AIC students join us for all of them, if not most,” she added.

Lakoju said that sometimes having an open conversation and feedback eliminates the ignorance about the racial climate and issues in America and is also a great way for everyone to learn about things they don’t fully understand. P.R.I.D.E. is an opportunity for students to be more involved on campus and have an active voice and responsibility for social and political issues while making a difference on campus as well as the Springfield community. One of the events many students look forward to is P.R.I.D.E.’s Annual Fashion Show.

“Our Fashion Show always focuses on self-confidence, fun, and style, We want the students at AIC to know that there are so many eras of fashion as well as more than one way to rock a specific look,” Lakoju explained.

“Clothing is one way that African Americans have sparked their imagination and have impacted numerous fashion trends across the world,” she noted. With many other events to anticipate, Lakoju looks forward to the fashion show around early April.

AIC Radio is also introduced an Open Mic Night: Spit Yo Shhh in the Stinger Pub on Thursday, October 18 at 8:30 p.m. This event serves as a platform for students to show off their talents as well as express their thoughts and feelings in a creative way.

There should always be a platform or event available that allows students to express and have support for each culture. With it being in