Singin’ in the Rain is headed our way

Annie Norton, Staff Writer

This spring semester AIC’s very own Theater Department is bringing the classic production ‘Singin’ in the Rain’ to life in the Griswold Theater.

Released originally in 1952 as a movie, Singin’ in the Rain is a classic Broadway musical beloved by many. The plot centers around the cultural and industry struggle of thetransition from silent films to talkies.

Everyone has trouble adapting.

Don and Lina have been cast repeatedly as a romantic couple, but when their latest film is remade into a musical, only Don has the voice for the new singing part. After a lot of practice with a diction coach, Lina still sounds terrible, and Kathy, a bright young aspiring actress, is hired to record over her voice.

The AIC Theater Department production is in the early rehearsal stage, with the cast set and all working hard on the production, including staff.

AIC’s Sophia Oliveira is playing a lead role as Lina Lamont.

Sophia Oliveira will play the lead in Singin’ in the Rain! (Photo by Annie Norton)

She said the audition process was nerve wracking, but exciting. The audition entailed singing a solo, reading lines individually and in groups, and a group dance audition.

“When I found out I was playing one of the lead roles, I felt wicked excited,” she said.

Oliveira is a senior this year and has been involved in the theater program since her sophomore year. As such, has a lot of technical experience in the theater program, but this is her first time stepping out into the main limelight in one of the musicals.

Oliveira is making her lead musical debut and we can’t wait to see her shine.

Another actor in the play is Dante Woods.

Woods is also graduating this may with his degree in theater. He is playing the role of Don Lockwood.

He said he is most looking forward to the ballads that his character sings along with the immense amount of dance numbers.

“I personally feel like I lack confidence when it comes to dancing and so having this opportunity to prove myself wrong will be great,” he said.

Woods said he felt confident throughout the audition process when he was asked to sing and prepare 16 measures of a song and also learn a small dance for a dance audition.

He added that he is looking forward to the play as more than an exercise in acting and being on stage.

“One more thing I want to take away from this show is that golden age musicals have a different quality of performance and although some may say a show is like Singin’ in the Rain is dated, it still has relevance in our society today. I want to take away an appreciation for this kind of show,” he said.

Woods also stated, “As this is my last show at AIC, I am super grateful to have the opportunities I’ve had while being a student here. My growth over these years will be fully showcased in this musical and I am excited to show what I am capable of.”

This year the Theater Department will be doing four performances which will be Friday April 26that 7 p.m., Saturday April 27 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., and Sunday April 28that 2 p.m.

Normally, the Theater Department puts on three shows during the weekend but we have the privilege of getting four chances to see this year’s musical.

So get the most enjoyment out of seeing the Theater Department bring productions to life — they are so hardworking and dedicated to their craft.