Work study helps students, college

Work study helps students, college

Devonte' Dillion, Staff Writer

While many college students struggle to pay for their tuition, many are given the opportunity to be given what’s called a “work study.”

A work-study is a job that is funded by the federal government, and run through American International College to provides students to work on campus. First the student has to be eligible for work-study before they can start the process of finding one.

There is no guarantee that the student will get a job if they meet the requirements. Qualifying is just step one of the journey. After they find out they are eligible for the work study they have to go to career services and find out if there are any available positions on campus or look on the schools website.

That alone slims the chances of receiving a position for the fact everyone goes to the same person on campus, which is Keyshawn Dodds to check to see if anything is available.

David Bond, Director of Web Development and Design believes that work study is a valuable asset for both the college and the students who qualify and find jobs.

“If there are open positions then yes, although there would need to be more training and more jobs that are based like internships it should apply to the need based first,” Bond said.

Work-study managers are not allowed to have students work more than a certain amount of hours as well. Aaron Yates a freshman here at AIC, said the process is mostly good, but could be tweaked a bit.

“It’s a fair process but there needs to be more variety so that many people who actually need the money can work. If you get the job freshman year possibly this could be your work study until you graduate which is nice,” Yates said

On January 21st, 2014, I was given the opportunity to work in the Public Relations building performing Web Development with David Bond and Craig Greenberg.

Coming into this whole process, I knew somehow I would have to set myself apart from others in order to be considered for the position. What may have been a vital part in me getting hired for this position was that I was persistent about getting the job.

I consistently emailed Bond in a timely manner, which showed my interest. Also whenever I was asked to send specific items I did that as well; personally I believed this showed my ambition to get the job over others.

Bond said he is always on the look-out for hard-working students.

“Someone who is responsible, eager to learn new things and they definitely need to be self motivated,” Bond said.

Working there at the Human Relations building I talked to Craig and David and already found out information that I never knew. Having this position it allows me to build my resume with adding a new job and new references based on my performance.

This work-study not only allows me to get money but it gives me extra time to get my studies in. They give me the chance to do my homework there before the actual tasks they hand me for the fact of helping me in my academics. This gives me an edge on my work because I won’t fall behind my work since I have time in my shifts to get work done.

Craig Greenberg the Director of Public Relations, spoke of the benefits of a student having work-study in the Public Relations building?

“This position gives experience to the student in a field they might be interested in after they graduate, also allows them to work with many administrations to build relationships they can branch off in the future as well,” Greenberg said.

Samuel Miranda, another freshman at AIC, lost his work-study to an upperclassman. Miranda was understandably disappointed.

“Even though they didn’t pay a lot, it was still better than nothing. I have to find one as soon as possible because I hate not having money. Just let this journey begin all over again,” Miranda said

It is apparent that students here at AIC value having a work-study position and if they don’t have one the fight to get one clearly shows.

Whether it’s the opportunity to have this work study turn into internship, put money in their pocket, or build their resume; people have their different reasons to pursue this position to better them now and in the future.work study