Blood moon as an omen

Blood moon as an omen

Patrick Baker, Staff Writer

Last month, Texas Pastor John Hagee warned that between April and October 2015 a terrible tragedy would happen.

Hagee gets the idea of these prophecies from the Bible, Acts 2:20, which says “the sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.”

This phenomenon is said to be marked by the four so-called ‘blood moons’ that will happen in six-month intervals until October of 2015.

The term blood moon comes from the moon’s coppery red color when the Earth comes between the sun and moon, and the theory that there may be a bloody tragedy in the months to come.

This wasn’t Pastor Hagee’s first prediction. He had also held readings and speeches to his angelical followers about the 2012 doomsday predictions.

Stories of ‘Doomsday’ and ‘The End Times’ have scientists shaking their heads.

The so-called blood moon is simply a lunar eclipse, a natural phenomenon!

A lunar eclipse is when the sun is on one side of the earth and the moon is on the opposite side.

The sun’s rays will only be able to make a reddish halo around the earth and the red rays will also reach the moon and make it glow a copper red.

When there is not a blood moon, it is because the earth does not block the lighter color rays and it is able to reflect the usual white color it does.

There have been few lunar eclipses in the past two centuries, and now we will be getting four in eight months.

The fact that there are so many lunar eclipses happening in the coming months is amazing, but there is surely nothing to worry about when it comes to a morbid religious prophecy coming true.

At AIC, some were watching closely.

Senior accounting major Liam Baker stayed up to see the blood moon.

“Yeah, I saw a clip of it on the morning news and looked it up a few hours later and read a little bit about it,” said Baker.

He also went on to say, “I didn’t have to do much to see it but set my alarm and walk out onto the porch.”

The first blood moon happened Tuesday April 14, and started at 2:45 a.m. and went on for 3 hours.

Another AIC student, Michael Schulze, an International Business major and member of the wrestling team, said how he’d missed it, but will defiantly catch the next one.

“No, I missed it! I had seen something about it on twitter but thought I would hear a lot more about it before it happened,” Schulze said.

“Nobody was talking about it so I thought that it wasn’t for a while, but then I saw news about it the day after,” he added.

As a tip for Schulze and Baker: you may not get a great view of the moon from AIC.

Some surrounding towns with good spots are Wilbraham, Monson, Ludlow and Hampden.

Wilbraham has a few good spots like Sunset Rock, off of sunset rock road, and Rice’s Trail, which leads to a cliff that overlooks Monson.

Monson has a great view from Peaked Mountain, which is off of Butler road.

Ludlow has a few decent spots but the best is from Indian Leap, behind the Bank of America across the bridge.

Finally Hampden has a very good view from Goat rock, which is off of Main Street.

The next blood moon dates are October 7-8, April 3-4, andBlood moon September 27-28.