Pulitzer Prize-winning play at AIC

Pulitzer Prize-winning play at AIC

Bradley Gardini, Staff writer

Prepare the way for ‘Angels in America’ coming to AIC this November, courtesy of the Theater Department.

This semester AIC’s Theater Program looks to challenge audiences to find the humanity in us all.

Frank Borrelli, Director of AIC’s Theater Program, said he chose the play for its plot.

“Because I am going to choose plays that challenge students understanding of the world they live in and its history,” Borrelli said.

AngelsAngels in America follows the life of several unique individuals at the 1980s at the high of the AIDS crisis. These characters show us that despite overwhelming odds they refuse to give up. Instead they show us how a little kindness goes a long way.

Playwright Tony Kushner wrote this Pulitzer Prize-winning drama in 1993, with eight actors playing multiple roles. It has since been made into both a television mini-series and an opera.

And now, AIC.

Not only does this play feature some wonderful students, the cast and crew were fortunate enough to have Lynn McGrady, from AIC’s Financial Aid Department, join the production.

She said she finds working with the cast and the rehearsals time well spent.

“I have always enjoyed the theater and this is an amazing play,” McGrady said.

“It’s personally satisfying to be part of a production like this,” she said.

Angels2Borrelli said he hopes the message of Angels in America hits home to the AIC campus.

“I hope that our audiences will be reminded that kindness and charity is far better than the exhibition of ignorance and hate,” Borrelli said.

The play will run November 21-23 in the newly renovated Griswold Theatre and is free to the public.

This play contains some harsh language and adult situations which are not recommended for children.