The student news site of American International College

AIC Yellow Jacket

AIC Yellow Jacket

AIC Yellow Jacket

Polls

Q1. Do you think the DC provides enough options? (balanced meals, dietary restrictions, variety) Q2. Do you think that every AIC student should be allowed to be in the DC even without a meal plan?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

President Benitez Brings Hope And Innovation To AIC

President Hubert Benitez sat down with The Yellow Jacket to discuss his first year at AIC and his hopes for this school year. I wanted the chance to chat with the President so students can get to know him better. In his first year at AIC, his main goal was to foster community and reimagine what AIC was all about, along with innovating academics.

President Benitez is from Colombia and got his first degree in dentistry from Pontificia Universidad, Javeriana. He entered higher education twenty-five years ago after years spent practicing Dentistry. He knew he wanted to be back in the educational environment. After he completed his dental degree and practiced for a few years, he went back to college for a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Connecticut. There he found a magnificent mentor, and that is why he believes so strongly in the power of mentorship.

Benitez commented on the impact his mentor had on him. “He saw in me a skill set in me I didn’t know I had,” Benitez said. “Together we focused on developing programs for predoctoral students and postdoctoral students and I became acquainted with the world of higher education. He guided me through a career where he thought that at some point I could become a university administrator.” Having a mentor in college is a valuable resource, and we should all hope to find someone who can help guide us when we need it.

After he earned his PhD, Benitez went up through the academic ranks, and eventually became a college president.

Hubert Benitez, DDS, PhD

Although acting as the chief administrator of a college is a busy job, in his free time President Benitez loves to travel. He loves visiting countries and new cities and learning about cultures, histories, and architecture.

Benitez also spends his time attending AIC sports events. “I follow all the AIC sports,” Benitez said. “I try to go to every single game I can. I have attended a game of every sport in my year here. But I think everyone knows because I am from a Hispanic/Latino background–and I grew up playing soccer–…soccer has always been the sport I love. However, now being President of AIC, I get excited about going to every single sport.”

Looking towards the future of AIC, President Benitez hopes that it continues to be a central pillar of Springfield. His hope is for AIC to be a vibrant, innovative institution of higher learning, where every single student who comes to AIC feels that they have a place where they belong.

“I’m very passionate about the future of AIC,” Benitez said.

As for the advancements we can expect to see at AIC, Benitez is trying to instill a change of mindset. AIC created a new strategic plan called “AIC Reimagined,” which focuses on realizing a new potential for the institution.

“We have been focusing on six fundamental pillars,” President Benitez said. “First, the academic portfolio. There are new programs being launched, and we are revitalizing what the academics look like. Secondly, we are trying to increase our presence in the community. We really want to be a prominent presence in Springfield. But what has become a central focus of the work of AIC is access, opportunity diversity, community, and belonging. Making sure that we are creating an environment where people feel that this is a home away from home and that this is a place where they belong.”

President Benitez at his Investiture Ceremony in October, 2022. (Don Treeger)

In the next year or two the biggest changes we can expect to see are a revitalization of what the institution looks like physically. This will involve growing AIC’s presence in the Springfield community, reimagining spaces, and beautifying the campus. One renovation project will be to reimagine what the new Courniotes Hall will look like. This could be a very positive change for AIC.

In July, a lightning strike hit Courniotes Hall, setting the building on fire. There was significant damage to the building, rendering it unusable for the fall semester. Luckily, no one was in the building at the time. President Benitez shared that the fire was one of the most tragic and unexpected events in the history of the 130-year institution, but that they are dealing with it well. “We put the promise out there that the student’s educational programs would not be interrupted,” Benitez said, “and we kept that promise. In the long term, we were very excited about what Courniotes Hall could be. Even though it is a very tragic event, we were excited because we are going to take the time to reimagine the building. And I know we will come out better than we were.”

As President of a college, Benitez shoulders a big responsibility, and there can be many challenges. He spoke of how the number of high school graduates is decreasing, so it is becoming more difficult to increase the student population. Financially, it is hard to keep long-term viability and sustainability. Plus, the college strives to make sure that the outcomes for its students are the best possible outcomes. When students arrive, they’re expecting they’ll have good career prospects after graduation.

Benitez said, “With these challenges, it is a very rewarding job because you see students arriving at AIC with a hope, a dream, an aspiration. And when you see them walking that stage and that degree, it pays off all the hard work.”

To all the students of AIC, President Benitez wanted to say:

“First, a message of appreciation. I want to thank every single student for having selected AIC. You have entrusted us with your education. It’s a blessing, an honor, and a privilege, and I take that very seriously. Secondly, I invite students to become involved in the college with their peers, and with their faculty, to create that sense of community. Lastly, when you graduate, never forget where you came from–that you earned an AIC degree. And we will always have a place for you.”