The student news site of American International College

AIC Yellow Jacket

AIC Yellow Jacket

AIC Yellow Jacket

Polls

Q1. Do you think the DC provides enough options? (balanced meals, dietary restrictions, variety) Q2. Do you think that every AIC student should be allowed to be in the DC even without a meal plan?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

SGA Student Town Hall Answers Some Questions, Raises Others

On Monday, March 4, 2024, the Student Government Association held a Student Town Hall in the Campus Center Auditorium. Members of the administration were present, including President Hubert Benitez, Chief Operating Officer Nicolle Cestero, and Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs Michael Dodge. They encouraged students to share their concerns, discuss issues on campus, share ideas for improvement, and get their questions answered. Many students were eager for this chance as there have been occasions where things were miscommunicated and misunderstood.

Chief Operating Officer Nicolle Cestero, President Hubert Benitez, and Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs Michael Dodge answer student questions at the SGA town hall. (Amelia Rodriguez)

The President of PRIDE Makiah Warren spoke after the event, saying, “I appreciate that the administration came out, but I can’t help but think about our protests in November 2023 and how we have been trying to have this Town Hall or any type of communication with them. I can’t imagine why it took us until March 2024 for it to come to pass.”

This comes after the administration sent out an email on January 30th, detailing Spring 2024 Operational Changes from Chief Operating Officer Nicolle Cestero. The email explained that “Many colleges, including AIC, are acutely sensitive to changes in the higher education market, and many schools are experiencing lower-than-usual enrollment trends.” Due to this, the administration felt it necessary to make changes to ensure AIC maintains long-term stability.

The changes outlined in Cestero’s email said that student activity programming would be reduced for the remainder of the academic year. Additionally, campus shuttle services would operate for limited hours. The Hive (including Starbucks) would operate with reduced hours, and breakfast service in the Hive would be paused. Catering for campus events would be suspended for the remainder of the spring semester. Mondo Subs (in the Hive) would also cease operation for the spring.

Student Body President Swastik Chuke opened the Town Hall with introductions of his Student Government Association Executive Board. He also introduced members of the administration, including President Hubert Benitez and Chief Operating Officer Nicolle Cestero. Along with the students, professors and staff, many RSO leaders attended the Town Hall. Representatives from SAAC (Student-Athlete Advisory Council) and PRIDE were there; both groups had previously met with the administration to understand the changes on campus and to advocate for the students.

Warren commented on a meeting she had with the administration prior to the Town Hall. “The complaints I brought up in our private meeting were some of the questions asked at the Town Hall,” Warren said. “They stated to me that they would send out formal communication in light of the changes made in February. This communication was never sent out.” As of March 20, students are still awaiting this updated email from the administration.

The administration will start to have monthly meetings with the student government to address problems and speak to people who can make the changes happen.

The Town Hall meeting gave the administration an opportunity to respond to a number of student concerns.

In regards to Residence Life, students brought it to the administration’s attention that there has been a problem with rodents in the resident halls, and frequently there is no hot water. Some students were concerned with security in the residence halls, and were specifically curious about why there is no longer Resident Hall Advisory Staff checking people in. Students wanted to know if they would eventually be reinstated, and administration clarified that they would not be reinstated for the remainder of the semester.

Students reported that the food issued over the break was low-quality, which is straining for athletes who need quality food. Plus, there are limited dining hours over break. The administration said they are considering providing non-paritable foods and catering over breaks and are still trying to figure out what’s the best course of action. The administration is trying to find a balance that is cost-effective for the institution and students for many of these problems.

In regards to catering, after meeting with SGA, Cestero collected upcoming RSO events and is working with Chartwells to see what they can and cannot help with. They are waiting to get more information from Chartwells.

In regards to the lack of athletic trainers, administration voiced that there has been a nationwide issue recruiting and retaining athletic trainers. They are continuously searching and trying to find unique solutions to the shortage of trainers.

In regards to a lack of Director of Diversity Education, students are concerned that they are not getting enough support. The administration has not yet permanently filled the role, but has plans for Giavanna Worthy to begin to take on some of those responsibilities in the meantime.

In regards to issues of communication, the administration understands that there has been miscommunication, and students have felt confusion surrounding announcements. They are working on ways to make themselves more accessible to students’ questions, concerns, problems, and ideas. After meeting with the PRIDE E-Board, they have begun to draft a complete clear email about what changes students can expect in more detail than the previous email. Students continued to express a need and want for full disclosure from their administration.

Again, as of March 20, this email has yet to be delivered to students.

Student Body President Swastik Chuke reflected on the Town Hall saying, “The Town Hall helped students get the answers they wanted and allowed different organizations to meet and form a bond to work together. There are still many questions we have, such as meal swipe rules, access to healthy food options, and the expansion of shuttle usage. SGA is going to follow up with the administration with our questions and ideas and we hope to work with the administration to come up with a possible solution.”