The student news site of American International College

AIC Yellow Jacket

AIC Yellow Jacket

AIC Yellow Jacket

Polls

Q1. Do you think the DC provides enough options? (balanced meals, dietary restrictions, variety) Q2. Do you think that every AIC student should be allowed to be in the DC even without a meal plan?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Hard Work And Dedication Characterize Student Body President

The Yellow Jacket Sits Down With AIC’s Swastik Chuke
Governing a body of 1,167 undergraduate students, Swastik Chuke was elected to serve as the student body president last May for the 2023-2024 academic school year. Chuke, a twenty-year-old junior studying physical therapy with a minor in exercise science was able to answer some questions about his time at AIC and about his time serving as student body president. Born in Nepal but raised in Massachusetts, Chuke, a first-generation college student, noted that his parents and family have been key motivators in his work academically as a student and personally as a leader of the Student Government Association.

Choosing physical therapy for a major was an easy choice for Chuke, especially because he had personal experience with physical therapy. “I played soccer and volleyball throughout middle and high school,” Chuke said. “[I] experienced a knee injury where I constantly had to do physical therapy at home. My parents as well suffered from shoulder and back pain. I would go with them to physical therapy offices and became more interested in the profession.”

Having gained motivation and academic passion from his parents, Chuke put it to good use when he began to make a name for himself. As he continued networking and interacting around campus, Chuke participated in a number of AIC events over the last two years, which eventually earned him the elected position of student body president.

Chuke was able to share what that meant to him and how AIC as a whole shaped him as a person. “It changed me in a positive way,” Chuke said.

Positive changes were seen within his public speaking as he became less nervous and more articulate; he began to learn advocacy skills, to adopt different perspectives, and to use his voice to aid others. “I began to hear and understand more,” Chuke said. “The more I interacted with people… the role I had began to become more important to me the more I connected.”

Aside from the work Chuke puts in academically and extra-curricularly, he also maintains an active social life. His friends and events on campus hold some of his favorite memories here at AIC. During his freshman year, Chuke was able to go to Witches Woods, a haunted hayride attraction where he and his friends were able to experience the fun of being scared during the Halloween season.

Caleb Pointjour, a senior at AIC, and Tyler Bond, a junior at AIC, are both close friends with Chuke and had this to say about him:“I’ve know Swas since his freshman year,” Pointjour recounted. “As time passes and now I’m a senior, I can see him becoming a wonderful man and a guy I can call my roommate and friend. Over the years, we’ve been in three clubs together and this is the only dude I’ve seen put lot of effort in and be proud of the work he does.” Pointjour added that Chuke is a “Great team player and mediator when things get tough.” 

Tyler Bond also highlighted Chuke as “one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet” and emphasized his dedication to his role in SGA. Bond also stated his close relationship with Chuke, describing him as loyal, supportive, and compassionate.

SGA President Swastik Chuke (Tabatha Aponte)
Chuke’s impact and personal connection to those at AIC have shaped him just as much as he’s shaped AIC. Chuke was able to share some pieces of advice for freshman entering AIC or college for the first time. “If you get the opportunity to meet new people and put yourself out there,” he said, “take that that opportunity, because you will build new connections and friends, which will be valuable resources for yourself and your career.”
Chuke plans to continue to serve his peers as student body president and to connect with his AIC classmates as much as possible. He also plans to further his education in tribute to his parents while making lasting memories with his friends.
Left to right: Caleb Pointjour, Tyler Bond, Swastik Chuke (Tabatha Aponte)