The student news site of American International College

AIC Yellow Jacket

AIC Yellow Jacket

AIC Yellow Jacket

Polls

Q1. Do you think the DC provides enough options? (balanced meals, dietary restrictions, variety) Q2. Do you think that every AIC student should be allowed to be in the DC even without a meal plan?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Women’s Rugby Celebrates Leadership And Diversity

Annekkia Ritter-Truxal, captain of the womens rugby team.
AIC Athletics
Annekkia Ritter-Truxal, captain of the women’s rugby team.

Around the world, women’s sports are increasing in popularity at the collegiate level. One sport on the rise is women’s rugby. Although rugby has been around since 1823 when William Webb Ellis created the unique game, women’s rugby has only been recognized on the collegiate level within the United States since 1971. Around campus, it is clear that AIC has a growing women’s rugby team. The women’s side is led by T. Fletcher, the director of the rugby program. She is assisted by Denver Divens. Under Coach Fletcher’s guidance, the women’s side earned a 15’s national title in 2021. They also took fifth last year in the 7’s national championship. Both the men’s and women’s teams will be kicking off their 7’s season at frostbite in Pennsylvania on March 3, 2024.

Rugby is unique sport and it is not native to the United States. Rugby tends to bring out many different types of players to the pitch. To succeed in rugby, one must possess agility, speed, strength, and a positive mindset. Throughout rugby’s history, the ‘gentleman mentality’ has always been encouraged, but not limited to only men. Even on the women’s side there is pride within taking on the reigns of sisterhood and bonding with your opponents. Rugby seems to be doing great as the years continue in part because of the culture it provides.

Those who best capture the culture of rugby are typically those called into leadership positions. Beside their talent, they also wear their hearts on their sleeves in times of need. AIC’s women’s team is led by Annekkia Ritter-Truxal and Zahira Roldan. I was able to touch base with Ritter-Truxal, a senior here at AIC who has served as the women’s team captain for the past year. Ritter-Truxal shared her point of view when it comes to leading the women’s rugby team.

Annekkia Ritter-Truxal, captain of the women’s rugby team. (AIC Athletics)

Ritter-Truxal commented on her leadership skills. “Being a women’s rugby team captain has been a transformational experience for me,” she said. “As a women’s rugby team captain, I have learned how to communicate and foster team unity with a diverse group of young women. We are all from different backgrounds, and finding unity between the groups has been challenging. This is where I have been challenged to set a positive example and emphasize our team’s values. It has helped shape my understanding of leadership and contributed to my personal growth. I am forever grateful to be part of this team–and for the lasting connections I have made with my teammates.”

As one can infer, Ritter-Truxal holds the sport of rugby dear and true to her heart. It is important to recognize that rugby has been able to act as a learning experience for players like her. A special characteristic of rugby is that it is extremely popular in other countries outside of the United States. Due to the variety of countries that indulge in rugby, the AIC rugby program has been able to recruit an array of international student-athletes.

On the women’s side, I discussed with Aifric Ní Ghibne, a sophomore from Ireland, how being an international woman presents itself on the pitch here at AIC.

Aifric Ní Ghibne

Ni Ghibne commented on how she has transformed during her time at AIC. “Playing rugby at AIC has changed me in many ways,” she said. “I had to adapt to a new style of practicing and even coaching. I found that it was very different to the rugby I played at home and it seems as though in college everyone is competing with one another rather than forming a family environment like back home.”

Ni Ghibne also had some words of wisdom to share with prospective international athletes. “My biggest advice to international athletes that take the leap of coming to play sports in the United States is to come with an open mindset about things. It is a big transition to make, and it seems very daunting at first. The first few months are the most difficult because of adapting and things such as homesickness too. From my personal experience, it gets better with time and once you create those friendships and bonds it becomes a lot more enjoyable!”

Creating an environment of understanding and openness to others around them is important when a team is as diverse as AIC’s women’s rugby team is. The geographical differences on the AIC women’s team allow them to open their hearts to differences and to embrace a variety of cultures around them.

Morgan Schechter, another sophomore on the women’s team, discussed with me how diversity has enhanced her life at AIC. She also shared some of the mental challenges that come with an aggressive sport like rugby.

Morgan Schechter
Schecter shared her thoughts on how diversity has impacted her life while playing at AIC. “Everyone on the team is different and comes from different backgrounds,” she said. “It’s allowed me to step out of my own circle and learn about the people I now call family. Rugby is an international sport, and we have girls and guys coming from across the world to play the same sport as the people from close by which is amazing to me.”
Schechter also shared her thoughts on the mental aspect of the game. “Rugby at this level is very different from high school or club rugby. My freshman year, I felt like I had to relearn everything and that was very stressful to me. It is very stressful at times especially when you can’t get a drill right or you are waiting for the roster. It is also a great outlet for me because if I’m having a bad day, I will try to take my anger out on hitting the pads or just pushing myself to be better.”
Overall, it is inspiring to know that there are still opportunities for women and girls to participate in a growing sport. Making history is something women’s rugby will continue to do, on and off the field.