The new “Beauty and the Beast” is coming to the big screen

The new Beauty and the Beast is coming to the big screen

Shiane Wilkins, Staff Writer

Fantasy fills the air once again as love fills the atmosphere with the story of “Beauty and the Beast.”

This time there will also likely be many opinions once the film opens.

The first “Beauty and the Beast” film was made in 1991 by Disney. It was animated, making it such a blockbuster and fantasy to children everywhere.

As the new year has turned up, so has the new version of “Beauty and the Beast.” This time it is live action, starring Emma Watson as Belle and Dan Stevens as the Beast, along with other stars including Ian McKellen as Cogsworth, Emma Thompson as Mrs. Potts, Ewan McGregor as Lumiere, Stanley Tucci and Cadenza, and Luke Evans as the obnoxious Gaston.

The new “Beauty and the Beast” will make its debut on March 17 in United States theaters. Pretty much everyone is awaiting that date eagerly, especially fans of the book, the animated film, and many of the stars including Watson of the Harry Potter series fame.

The AIC campus is no exception — many people here are excited about the new premier of Beauty and the Beast. The big question is, will the new one be better than the original.

AIC student Nick DeMore said he has watched the trailer and looks forward to the full film.

“It will be more scary cause it is more realistic,” said DeMore.

Since all the characters are more life-like, it has more connection to reality rather in cartoon form where you are just seeing an animated story. The animation verion has people think it is not a real story and less immersive, making the live action movie take it to the next level.

Taking a deeper look shows differences in the colors that the trailer uses.

The colors perspective has turned shades darker than the 1991 version as it was shown to have more lighting. Taking a glance at the 2017 trailer, the Beast Castle walls are darker as no light has come into the castle in years. The old version of Beast Castle is based of the colors of purple and brown with the light shades as small glimpse of light was in the Castle.

When taking a big glance at the trailers, there were significance differences to the original.

The father of Belle plucked a white flower from the garden to bring back to the Belle for a gift for his long journey. This scene was picked out from the book as the Father brought Belle a red flower from the garden of the Beast. In the old version, the only flower was the rose from the Castle with the curse.

While the movie shifts from animated to live action, the story of “Beauty and the Beast” is said to not change.

Student Crystal Mallett agreed with DeMore, saying the movie is sure to be a hit.

“They won’t change it from the original,” Mallet said.