New Health Sciences building is complete

Amber+Ollari

Amber Ollari

Amber Ollari

Amber Ollari, Editor-in-Chief

There’s a new building on campus, and it will be opening soon.

Last fall, AIC began the process of building the Colaccino Center for Health Sciences building at 1020 State Street in Springfield.

The building will house the new Exercise Science program as well as an expansion of the Physical and Occupational Therapy programs. The building will allow students in these programs to perform simulations, labs, and learn.

According to MassLive, MassDevelopment provided $10.5 million for the construction of both the Colaccino Building and the graduate residence hall on Acorn and Courtland. The Health Sciences building has 13,753 square feet and cost $7.5 million to build.

Dr. Karen Rousseau, the Dean of Health Sciences here at AIC, provided some in-depth details for those who are not Health Sciences majors but are interested in this building.

“The Colaccino building was built to provide added learning space for our growing programs in Health Sciences,” said Dr. Rousseau.

AIC’s Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Nursing programs have become increasingly popular, so it only seems fitting to have a new building for these programs, Rousseau noted.

“Enrollments in OT and PT have continued to rise, as well as in Public health and Nursing and we now have a new undergraduate and graduate program in Exercise Science. Students from all of the health sciences majors will have the opportunity to learn in the new spaces moving forward,” Rousseau said.

Amber Ollari

She went on to tell about what courses are offered, “There are new labs that will enhance course offerings in PT and OT as well as a new simulation area that is like an apartment that allows health science students to simulate home visits to clients.

“We will be able to simulate home visits in which OT, PT and nursing might interact at the same time with a client in their home. The new OT lab has a special area to enhance student learning about OT interactions with children as well. The exercise science lab is called the Human Performance Lab and student will learn about health and fitness as well as exercise physiology as it applies to a wide range of roles in the health care field including pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation as well as strength and conditioning,” she said.

The building also features special areas where students can work with others in their program, collaborating with their peers.

There is talk about a new major coming to campus as well.

“We plan to also open Athletic Training as a major in 2021! We are very excited considering the number of athletes we have on campus.”

AIC’s newest addition is up and running. This building will be extremely beneficial to those in the Health Sciences program.