Vote on November 6!

Vote on November 6!

Felipe Novelini Maia, Staff Writer

In November 6 of 2018 the United States will have an election to decide who is going to be in charge in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives.

The elections this year will decide the future deputies and senators to represent the United States of America.
On one side the Republican party and in the other side the Democrats. There are also Independents with no affiliated party, the Green Party which focuses on the environment, and other assorted parties.

But mostly, it’s Democrats and Republicans, and the country has been divided of late.

The President of United States, Donald Trump supports the Republican side. Donald Trump has two more years running the country. For him this election it is very important because it decides who is going to support him and who is not going to support him.

For the Democrats, who hold majorities in neither the Senate nor the House, gaining control of either would be a dream come true this election season.

In the United States, the candidate who gets the most votes in the district is elected – no need to obtain an absolute majority to be elected. In this system, the vote goes straight to the candidate, not to parties or coalitions like happens in some countries around the world.

To know more about the election, AIC students were asked what they think about this election and if it is important for them.

They have kind of the same thought and point of views about the election.

Freshman Michael Enyaah, 18 years old, student-athlete in AIC, is from New York. He said he has not been following what is happening in the election, but he has his vote in mind already.

“I haven’t been following it that much, but I will be voting for Bob Massie as governor of Massachusetts,” said Enyaah.

He is in the Democratic side and he thinks is very important to vote and everybody can make the difference.

“It is very important to vote because it is a chance for your voice to be heard also every vote matter and yours might make the difference,” Enyaah said.

Whether people truly care about this election is still an unknown, he said.

“I do not think people really do care about this election as they do care about the election for president. Of course, that election is more important, but this one has importance too,” Enyaah said.

Freshman Angel Gonzalez, who plays soccer for AIC, shared his thoughts on this election season. A resident of California and 20 years old, he said he has not followed the news this voting season.

“I have not thought about someone, I know it is important, but I still have time to think about one and register,” Gonzalez said.

Angel lands on the side of the Democratic party, and he has the same thought as Enyaah does.

He thinks we must vote because it is very important for the country and for the people who fought for this right years ago.

“People fought before to give us the right to vote today, the minimum that we can do is respect it and vote, not only for us but for them too and for our country,” Gonzalez said.

“To be honest I think people really care for only one election and this one is for the president. This election is not big as the president one is, but we still need to think about this one for any reasons,” Gonzalez said.

Both students have kind of the same answers. It shows students want to vote and show the importance that the election has for this country and for who fought for the people’s right.

The right to vote showed up in 1965 and people show their respect for this right. Even if they are not obligate to vote they show their paper as citizen of United States.