Breaking Bad’s RJ Mitte brings his message to AIC

AIC students Grace Belt and Devonte’ Dillion with RJ Mitte in the Griswold Theater.

Devonte' Dillion, Staff Writer

Breaking Bad’s RJ Mitte made a stop at American International College to talk about his life, and living with Cerebral Palsy.

The March 24 visit in the Griswold Auditorium drew a crowd to see the actor, who played the role of Walter White’s son Walter Jr. in Breaking Bad, the hit AMC series that ran from 2008-2013.

Growing up, RJ lived in Louisiana and Texas. He was diagnosed at the age of three with Cerebral Palsy.

Cerebral Palsy isn’t a disease that’s contracted but in fact it’s a condition that occurs when there is lack of oxygen to the brain at birth.

Growing up, he had his differences with people and touched on how he was sometimes treated.

“In school, people sometimes looked and said what’s wrong with you? I would simply say what’s wrong with you?” Mitte said.

It was very clear that he was comfortable in his own shoes with this disability.

“People feel as though a disability is a problem, but in fact a disability is knowledge, a disability is power,” Mitte said.

RJ Mitte with AIC Communication Professor Marty Langford.

He was strong on how people should not fear what others would say about them but instead abandon the fear and continue with your life.

Mitte went on to say, “There’s so many times in your life when fear tries to manipulate you. Even other people will try to use your fear against you, you cannot allow fear to control you.”

As far as him being where he is in this point of his life, over-coming the fear of his Cerebral Palsy makes him who he is today.

“I wouldn’t be able to do what I do today without my disability. I learned to use it for me and not against me,” Mitte said.

The role for the Breaking Bad position that he auditioned for required brown hair, thick eyebrows and preferably Cerebral Palsy. Coincidently enough, that was fit for him.

Mitte then went to talk to the students about how social media accounts can haunt them in the long run.

He shared one story about a friend who had everything set up career wise coming out of college but was unfortunate with what he had out on social media.

They told him he had the job, but then brought him in a week later to tell him why he now wouldn’t have the job. And then they handed him all the information they had about him on social media.

“People see you for who you are, what you do and what you say. You have to protect who you are and what you represent.” Mitte said.

There’s a cost that comes with posting on social media sites that future employers will look at.

Closing his speech, he had a community session where many students asked general questions and even questions about the show.

But one question made the crowd roar and even stunned him a bit. And that question was “What is the meaning of life?”

A little speechless at first, he gathered his thoughts and went on to say, “Everyone has their own meaning of life, to me it’s respecting people, having a greater impact on lives other than your own; to live not in fear and remain true to yourself. You never know how far that will take you rather than trying to conform into something you’re not.”

Immediately after he finished the whole crowd applauded him, and it was clear that people appreciated him for simply his perception on life.

AIC students Grace Belt and Devonte' Dillion with RJ Mitte in the Griswold Theater.