Farewell, AIC Class of 2015

Farewell, AIC Class of 2015

Malik Copper, Staff writer

With the semester drawing to an end, many seniors at AIC have their hearts and minds set on one thing and one thing only: Graduation.

Graduating from any level is a great accomplishment and should never go unnoticed but for this graduating class, it will mean so much more.

For most graduating seniors, school has been the most important and prominent aspect of their young lives. Starting from pre-k through elementary school, middle school to high school and now college, making it this far was no easy task. School may have started off simple and fun but over the years many realized just how dedicated they had to be in order to arrive at this point.

The early years in education were great. Nap and snack time were a daily routine and reading, writing and arithmetic were as simple as ABC and 123. Good grades were rewarded with stickers, which proud parents would pin on their refrigerator doors. Recess was always the best part of the day. Teachers would set their students free on the asphalt to let their young, active imaginations run wild. Life was so simple with limited to no responsibility at all.

Then life comes to most students like a hurricane, almost knocking them over completely to let them know its not a game anymore. That hurricane’s name was high school. High school was mean and surely and brought with it an even more devastating friend called the SAT. The SAT didn’t care about popularity or who was the next athletic phenom. It had one job and one job only and that was to destroy anyone in its path it possibly could.

Was AIC’s 2015 class fazed?

Maybe, but they accepted the challenge and conquered. Many would then ask, “Why AIC?”

For those who aren’t already aware, AIC probably isn’t anyone’s first choice that comes to mind while choosing a collegiate institute after high school. It’s virtually unknown, smack dab in the center of one of the worst neighborhoods in America and the tuition will cost you a pretty penny.

In essence, AIC is the ugly duckling compared to other schools in the area like Springfield College or Western New England University and is the ignored stepchild in relation to the University of Massachusetts.

AIC graduation 2014.
AIC graduation 2014.

Asking the question, “Why AIC?” will generate a number of different answers. Maybe it was close to home. Maybe a coach offered a scholarship to play sports here. Maybe it was the only school to accept that individual. Whatever the case may be, each senior’s destiny led him or her here for them to live out their purpose.

One student, Nicole Taylor, shared her particular four year experience here at AIC.

“AIC has definitely assisted in my growth on a personal and professional level. I’m a strategic thinker so there’s a method to my madness. I wanted to experience every aspect of collegiate life and I did just that. I got INVOLVED. I came in as this shy freshmen and over the course of four years, a leader has truly emerged. College is what you make it, and I made it worth every penny,” Taylor said.

Some may have discovered their purpose here at AIC and others may still be trying to figure that out. Many will graduate with the utmost confidence knowing their next step after commencement day. Others may still be lost, wondering what their lives will be after receiving that hard-earned diploma. Regardless of the circumstance, each individual deserves to hold their head high, poke their chest out and keep their feet moving forward.

Graduating from college is the ultimate achievement. Whether it’s from undergrad or graduate school, finishing the journey is imperative. It’s the omega in your scholastic experience and the alpha of your real world endeavors.

“Most likely I plan on staying and pursuing my masters. AIC offers a MBA 4+1 program that will allow me to receive my masters in one year. I think it’s safe to say I’m pretty much sold,” added Taylor.

Not many can say they have made it out of AIC. This institution will make a man/woman out of you and if you are not an individual who is self motivated, the sting you’ll receive will be immense. The class of 2015 knows what it takes to truly be a Yellow Jacket and will greet the real world with a sting of their own.

Commencement day will be held on May, 17th at the Mass. Mutual Center for friends and family to share this remarkable experience with these graduating seniors.

Congratulations to the class of 2015!

Malik Copper
Malik Copper

Malik Copper is graduating with a bachelor’s degree of Communication.