Former Clinton Emails May Damage Campaign

Heather Brouillard, Staff Writer

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s emails are being examined by the Federal Bureau of Investigation to find if she knowingly shared classified, government information.

The former Secretary of State used an email address from a private server, as opposed to a government-issued account while working at the United States Department of State.

Reuters, an international news agency based out of London, reported on Clinton earlier this year.

“I opted for convenience to use my personal email account because I thought it would be easier to carry just one device for my work and for my personal emails instead of two,” said Clinton, according to Reuters news agency back in March.

images

Two issues come into play in the situation.

The first is to determine what information is considered “classified.” Each government official, including Clinton, is responsible for determining the level of protection every email requires. Many of the emails discussing relations with Burma and Russia, for example, were not even placed in the “classified” category, thus leaving them unprotected.

Clinton’s emails regarding the 2012 Benghazi terrorist attack in Libya are gaining the most public attention. Clinton corresponded with advisor Sidney Blumenthal about the details of the attack in 2012. Blumenthal was not an official government member at that time.

Second, if Clinton knowingly shared classified emails, her actions are illegal.

When Clinton’s emails first became public earlier this year, she denied all accusations. But as more and more became public, she did admit to using a private server for personal and professional work.

Even though Clinton admits regret, she said the State Department allowed her to set up this email account.

According to MSN, internal issues arose at the Department of State. The help desk was not even made aware of her server. Intentional or not, Clinton’s actions are suspicious.

Her light-hearted responses toward many sensitive topics are concerning to the public as well.

“No go on Burma travel,” read one email, according to MSN.

As the investigations continue, more uncomforting details are unraveling.

Some of the thousands of Clinton emails have now been tossed out from those under review because of their irrelevancy to her work. Another 125 emails were “retroactively classified” before being made public, according to CNN.

Furthermore, many of the emails are now redacted.

Some of the public is not surprised to learn that only subjects of emails are visible while the content was deleted, including Professor Gary Jones, who teaches history at American International College.

Unknown

“The U.S. government is so secretive and so much government material is classified, that I am not surprised some of the material released is redacted,” said Jones.

As the year leading up to the great election continues, so does the Hillary Clinton saga.

Clinton’s actions have presented a sense of unprofessionalism and disloyalty to the millions of citizens whom she is working to persuade for leadership.

Jeanna Jensen is a politically-informed student at American International College. She is hopping off the Clinton bandwagon as more and more details from the email scandal continue to roll through.

“I can’t take her seriously as a candidate anymore,” said Jensen.

However, Professor Julie Walsh, who teaches political science at American International College, is not as worried at the moment.

“It is really too early in the campaign to determine if this will prove to be a serious obstacle for her,” Walsh predicts.

Regardless of a timeline, the Republicans are using any possible scandal against one of the top opponents in the race to presidency.