Cultivating Creativity’s Trip to the Museum

Professor Nordell’s class enjoying their visit to the museum.

Kathyria Beltran

SPRINGFIELD, MA- Art and whimsy found the Cultivating Creativity class November 12th, at the Michele and Donald D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts in Springfield. The class, taught by Professor John Nordell, sought an inspiring and mind-opening, thought-provoking experience. That is just what they received.

The class toured the museum, looking at pieces from cultures all around the world. From Asia to Europe to America, they sampled a vast collection of pieces that not only varied in source but also in style. There were paintings, prints, and sculptures that showed the students the many forms art expresses itself in.

Students said they found the experience to be captivating, and were fully invested in exploring each of the pieces. Some students were drawn to more modern pieces, whilst others preferred a more classic style.

“It made me feel like every single thing in this museum is art, even the things that aren’t labeled as art,” remarked Psychology Major Shannoya Scott.

The whole experience itself was eye opening for the students, as to what can be considered art and what is not. The different mediums used in the exhibits such as watercolor and clay continue to be sources of inspiration for the students, who are using them in class to recreate their own pieces of art.

Shiane Wilkins (left) and Ruthlyn Richards drawing at the museum.