“Try Me Too” diner offers 10% discount for AIC students, staff

Ave' Mullen, Staff Writer

SPRINGFIELD – As we approach autumn, the most thankful and giving season of the year, new opportunities arise for AIC students and teachers.

Local diner Try Me Too, located at 827 State Street, has announced that beginning Monday, September 18, all AIC students and employees will receive a 10% discount per visit. All that is required to receive this promotion is your handy dandy AIC student/employee I.D. and you can enjoy the feast!

Try Me Too is a local restaurant that has been open for business about two years now. 20 years ago, they were at another location on Hancock Street in Springfield, Massachusetts. Since they’ve been back, they’ve introduced to us many new food items.

Their menu carries a variety of unique food items such as their tasty Philly Cheesesteak Grinders, their Bacon Cheese Fries, or more notably, their famous Hollidae Hot Wings. Several of the menu items include secret family recipes such as their special Sue Sauce with chicken wings. Some AIC students have already begun to get a taste of what Try Me Too is all about.

“I had an amazing experience at Try Me Too,” says Samira Abdul-Karim, a junior at AIC.

“The blend of flavors used in the sauces for the wings and variety of dishes are amazing just like the service. It’s my new go to spot to grab a meal before, in between and after class,” she added.

Not only does Try Me Too have an amazing lunch menu, but they also serve breakfast — ALL DAY! Their breakfast menu includes delicious dishes such as French toast and turkey bacon or steaming grits with sunny side up eggs.

“I decided to start an AIC student and teacher discount to reach out and give back to the community and also to help take care of the students,” owner Damin Mullen noted. “They are our future. I also have a daughter attending AIC. We thought it could be a great benefit to the students who are commuters and don’t have a meal plan.”

He also shares he is hiring for part-time delivery drivers and that all interested applicants should inquire within.

You can check out Try Me Too from the hours of 7 a. m. to 10 p. m. Monday through Thursday, and up until 3 a. m. Friday and Saturday nights.

“I love working at Try Me Too, my boss is so hardworking and dedicated and it makes me want to work harder and strive to open my own business one day,” said Tamara Kelly, an employee and regular customer at Try Me Too.

The environment at Try Me Too is casual and great for families. Every so often they serve events like breakfast for the St. John’s Congregational Church and other group meetings. The environment is also moderately diverse, especially with new menu items on the way.

“I have several new menu items being added to the menu to add more choices for our customers. Favorites like pizza, pasta, alcoholic drinks and even funnel cakes are coming soon,” Mullen said.

Try Me Too also likes to have a little fun with their customers. They have a special challenge called the Deeeezz Wings Challenge. Contestants try to devour 10 of the hottest wings ever, made with fiery ghost peppers. There is a 10-minute time limit and winners get their meal free and their picture on the wall. So far two people have tried and both had failed miserably. Good luck to whoever dares to be next.

They also offer different promotions such as their Father’s Discount, designed to support fatherhood in the community. That promotion is available exclusively on Sundays for fathers who dine in with their children. Try Me Too also offers a Senior Citizen Discount for people older than the age of 65.

You can follow Try Me Too on social media for more promotions and opportunities. They are on Facebook, Twitter and of course Snapchat @TryMeToo413. With the hassle of school, work, sports and time, AIC students can look forward to save a little money and make a little money this season.