Back to school: a new semester begins

Amber Ollari, Staff Writer

After a wonderfully long winter break, AIC students return to campus to complete yet another semester.

Some are excited to be back, while others may want to stay in bed and ignore their alarms. Nevertheless, it is a new term and a fresh start for both students and professors alike.

Since AIC is such a diverse community, students indulged in many different activities.

Some went home and spent time with their family, while others made time to catch up with their friends. Whatever way they spent their break, everyone was able to sleep longer and enjoy spending their time having fun instead of studying.

Lily Iglesias, a junior Nursing student at AIC, spent most of her vacation relaxing and preparing for the upcoming semester.

“I spent a lot of time trying to wind down from a stressful semester,” Iglesias said.

She also received a substantial gift, noting, “I went to Disney World, which was one of our big Christmas presents this year!”

Winter break allowed many to enjoy some chilly events. For those who love to ski, sled, snowboard, or even build a snowman, it was the perfect time to do so.

Jess Welsh, a fellow hardworking Nursing student, decided to take part in the winter fun.

“I went skiing a few times and I did some other wintery activities in between,” she said, adding that she also visited with family and friends and worked to bring in some more money, especially important during her junior year.

Coming back to campus was like coming home. Even though everyone wished they were still under the covers, professors were still welcoming, and students were willing to get down to business.

The start of the semester brings new friends, new skills, and an expansion of everyone’s education. The most important thing for students to do is to stay calm and maintain their stress levels. Studying with others can help, as well as grabbing a cup of coffee to keep warm.

Jaylan Ramos, a Political Science major, is excited and determined to be back.

“I am taking classes that are going to be challenging but they will be rewarding,” Ramos said.

Ramos is also looking forward to warmer weather.

“I’m mostly excited for the weather to brighten up so there can be more events on campus. I just feel way more motivated on sunny days and it’s a better vibe in general during the spring semester,” Ramos said.

Soon enough, spring break will be upon us and many are already preparing for it.

Whether it be a week of Netflix binging or flying down to Florida to sunbathe, spring break will be a fun and relaxing time for the AIC village.

This upcoming semester will allow students to appreciate campus during the warm weather! There is nothing like doing homework on a beautiful spring day, or enjoying the festivities on the Quad. Campus will be a scene for study groups and maybe an outdoor class or two.

Once April comes around, things will become more hectic. Exams will be closer, but that only means summer vacation is right around the corner. The class of 2018 will especially be thankful for that!

Now that everyone is back, it is time to get down to work.

Have a great rest of the semester AIC. Make sure to attend some events around campus and to enjoy the upcoming spring weather. Don’t forget to check the Weekly Buzz for new campus happenings, and games in order to support the Yellow Jackets.

Welcome back!