AIC reacts to the 11th U.S. school shooting of the year

It was another awful moment that, sadly, the world is getting used to.

At AIC, students agreed that the Jan. 23 shooting at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, was beyond awful.

But they also agreed the world is becoming numb to mass shootings, even when they are in schools.

This one resulted in two deaths of 15-year-olds, and 18 injuries, some serious.

AIC freshman Brianna O’Brien said she finds the whole thing frightening.

“It scares me how likely shootings are happening around America,” O’Brien said. “They have become much more common, and people seem to be not as shocked as the ones before. Shootings are happening everywhere, and they need to come to an end.”

Another freshman, Raegan Nichols, said she is hoping for a better world where people won’t want to shoot other people.

“I wish we lived in a world where parents weren’t afraid to send their children to school, or students were not afraid to go,” Nichols said.

AIC senior Allie Roy stated, “mass shootings and school Shootings are getting worse and worse as time goes by, and better gun laws need to be enforced.”

The school shooting in Benton, Kentucky was the nation’s 11th of the year.

If that statement about shootings and the actual shootings themselves doesn’t shock people, who knows what else will.

In this case, the gunman was identified as a 15 year-old male; however, his name has yet to be released. The gunman will be tried as an adult, and will be charged with both murder and attempted murder.

Media reports noted that authorities identified the slain victims as Bailey Holt and Preston Cope, both 15 years-old. Bailey died at the high school and Preston died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. Fourteen of the injured were male, and 6 others were female. Their ages ranged from 14 to 18.

The suspect in the shooting was armed with a handgun, walked inside the school, and started shooting at 8:57 a.m.

Several parents said their children told them the shooting started in the common area before classes.

One media report noted that a junior at the High School, Taylor Droke, was running late to school and arrived when students were pouring out of the doors.

“You could see students dropping their bags and just start running, pushing past each other,” Droke said. “Everyone in cars started turning around and driving away. Kids were jumping the fence around the school and running through the woods.”

Former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who survived a severe gunshot wound to the head from a 2011 mass shooting in Tucson, Arizona, issued a statement that the Kentucky shooting demonstrates the need for stronger gun laws.

“The devastating news about the shooting in Kentucky this morning is the latest example, but just yesterday, while the nation’s attention was focused on the government shutdown, school shootings were also reported in Texas and Louisiana,” Giffords said.

Researchers and gun control advocates say that since 2013, they have logged school shootings at a rate of about once a week.

“We have absolutely become numb to these kinds of shootings, and I think that will continue,” Katherine W. Schweit, a former senior F.B.I. official, told the New York Times.

According to a report issued by the Government Accountability Office in March 2016, 19 states were requiring individual schools to have plans for how to deal with an active shooter. Only 12 states required schools to conduct drills, but two-thirds of school districts reported that they had staged active shooter exercises.