March Madness: Crazy Times in College Basketball

Spencer Braithwaite, Staff Writer

College basketball is highly intense during the month of March.

The NCAA  Men’s Basketball Tournament is where major upsets happen and that explains why ‘March Madness’ is a perfect nickname for the sport during March.

AIC students agree completely.

“March madness to me is exactly what it sounds like, madness. I believe that there is lot of uncertainty as a fan, not knowing whether or not your team will win or lose. I also feel that for the teams that do win the whole thing, it takes a lot of faith,” student Oscar Assie explained.

March Madness is also sometimes referred to as ‘The Big Dance,’ and it is one of the most famous sporting events ever created in the U.S.

This event is a single game elimination tournament that happens each year in the United States throughout this month.  This tournament begins with a total of 68 Division 1 college basketball teams. These 68 teams are divided into four regions and organized into predetermined brackets. This means that once a team wins a game, the bracket shows which team they will play in the next round.

Each team is given a ranking based off of their record and how hard their schedule was throughout the season. The higher ranked teams get placed in a bracket against lower ranked teams. Every weekend, three quarters of the teams are eliminated. The tournament goes from 64 teams; to the “Sweet sixteen”, to the final four, to the championship game, until there is only one team left to be crowned the national champion.

March Madness can also be fun for the fans of college basketball. Regular people like you and I can create our own pre-determined bracket.  You can take an educated guess on which teams you think will win in each round and ultimately determine a national champion.

A huge challenge that has been brought forth by Warren Buffett has college basketball fans in a frenzy. He has offered a billion dollars to anyone who can perfectly fill out an NCAA men’s basketball tournament bracket.

“It’s never been done before. Honestly I just don’t see anyone ever getting this bracket 100% correct. The possibility of a team getting upset on any given game is too high,” said AIC student Jason Perrier.

Buffett only offers this challenge because he believes that it is impossible to win. This tournament has already had 18 different upsets, If a person can guess everything completely right then he/she deserves that billion dollars.

Upsets are something thing that is guaranteed to happen during March madness. After all, people don’t call this tournament March madness because they games are boring.

Fans are often seen in the crowd crying after their favorite team has been knocked out of the tournament.

“I don’t even want to talk about it. All I have to say is that I’m very disappointed in Duke. They should’ve never lost to Mercer. But hey, that’s March madness for you,” said Marcus Porter.

Duke was a team that many sports analyst thought would make it a lot further in the tournament. Duke’s freshman phenom Jabari Parker is a major reason why they had a successful season. However, he did not have such a spectacular game against Mercer University.

hat just goes to show you what March Madness is all about. Having one bad game can be the difference of getting eliminated, or continuing on a journey to become a national champion.