AIC Doritos Super Bowl Challenge – like us on Facebook, share on Twitter

Chelsea Kemembin, Staff writer

Students in Communication Professor Marty Langford’s Advanced Video Production class are aiming to get into the Super Bowl this year.

Yes, that’s right – The Super Bowl.

Six Communication and New Media students have taken on an unusual project as they learn higher-level video production skills – they are creating, directing and producing a 30-second video that will be entered into the annual Doritos Bowl Challenge.

If they win, their ad will be shown on national television on the biggest audience event of any season – Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 1, 2015.

Advanced Video Production students brainstorm on their project, the AIC Doritos Super Bowl Challenge.

Students said they are excited about the learning process, as well as the chance to have their work showcased nationally.

“It’s a really fun project,” said senior Cole Ludorf, who majors in New Media.

“It’s a good way to get the class all working in the same direction. You get to see all the steps of a process as you’re working, and that makes it really interesting.”

Ludorf had high praise for the class in general, saying it includes individual as well as teamwork.

“It’s actually a really nice class. I like the fact that we’re creating things we’re interested in, and working in a professional way,” he said.

Prof. Langford said the Doritos project has turned into a perfect teaching tool for the students involved: Ludorf, George Lee, Chelsea Kemembin, Cody Stone, Jeffrey Jean-Paul and Peter Jean-Paul.

“I see this as an opportunity to engage my students in not only something community based, but on a national level as well,” said Langford.

Students need opportunities to succeed, especially in a communications where the future is generated from previous experience and the networking opportunities that arise, he said. The world of broadcasting is always looking for people who are multi-skilled and creative.

Early on in the class, Langford explained the commercial, which will be a 30-second video for the Doritos Bowl Challenge, begun in 2006 and now one of the largest online video contest in the world.

Prof. Marty Langford and his students filled the blackboard during on brainstorming session.
Prof. Marty Langford and his students filled the blackboard during one brainstorming session.

The class requires students to do everything from brainstorming, shooting, editing, to producing the final cut of the video, which meet the guidelines to the Doritos Super Bowl Challenge. The finalist will submit their videos by the Nov. 9 deadline. The public will vote on the best video.

The winner video will air during the super bowl commercial and a spot to work for Universal Students, along with a $1 million prize.

Student George Lee said he is enjoying the project, as well as the class.

“I feel like I can only learn and gain from the experience even if the challenge is not the winner,” Lee said.

There are no down sides to this class, it’s a win, win situation if students come to class, put in effort and perfect the craft.

Student Jeffrey Jean-Paul said, “We all have the same interest with different talents. It’s just a mater of all of us putting in the effort and time and using what is available to us.

“If it is taken seriously, with the support of our community there’s no way we can’t be successful,” he added.

To get campus support for the advertisement, flyers will be posted around campus.

Students have already created both Twitter and Facebook both titled AIC Doritos Bowl Challenge to raise awareness of the project these students are working on.

An important element to winning the contest will raising awareness on social media sites beyond the current student body population.

“All the students are excited to see where this will go, where their imagination and can lead,” noted Ludorf.