Winter Break is Over!!!

Ketirah Felder-Hogan, Staff Writer

Wednesday January 13, 2016 marked the official end of a month-long winter vacation for American International College students.

Christmas presents and New Year’s cheers were traded in for books and class schedules as students prepared for classes that Wednesday. AIC’s book store was crowded that same afternoon as students rushed to have their text books for their respective classes.

Other students could be seen rushing to the James J. Shea Memorial Library to purchase their college books for lower prices or returning last semester’s books that were rented.

Many students here at AIC have quickly readjusted to the fast past of the college lifestyle. Others are still slowly readjusting still, as they are still in vacation mode.

Students are getting back to being used to having to wake up early or some of their classes or getting enough sleep to function for their night classes. Along with changes to their schedules students have to start getting back into the hang of their parents not being around any longer after being at home for a month.

AIC Freshman student Tamia Cheeks spoke about her readjustment back to college after returning from winter vacation.

“I’m a commuter here at AIC so the adjustment is not as hard for me as it for the students that actually had to come from their homes back to their dorm rooms,” Cheeks explained.

“Even though I don’t live here on campus I think just like all the other students we are trying to rush to get all books and the supplies that we need for our classes without trying to actually stress out about it all. I think it’s all about balance and focus and if we can do those two we can all mange to have a good semester here,” she added.

During the winter break students will go experience many changes when they return back to AIC.

Some students may not return to school, other students having personal issues, having new roommates, and new classes with different professors. Like most young adults at this time they want to focus and maintain good grades in each course they take so they can be free to do as they please during the summer.

However, for that goal of summer time fun to be reached students have to take their classes and professors seriously and remember their goal at hand and why they’re actually in the first place. Students, must also crack down and reach out for the help they didn’t ask for last semester and study hardier for test than they did last semester.

Huge sacrifices come along with those students that choose to crack down on homework and studying immediately after coming back to school. Whether you are a student that already has the hang of college balancing or a student that has not quite grasped the college life style.

Things such as excessive partying and cramming for test must be let go in order to do better this semester. However, you can still relax and relieve stress the same way it was done last semester. AIC freshman commuter Anastasia Edwards expressed her opinion about winter break and the new semester.

“Winter break was good and long it’s what I needed after months of long, no-stop work at school,” Edwards said.

“I’m relieved to be back at school and get back to work. I want to work even harder than last semester and look forward to the summer but I don’t want to stress myself out. So I go to the gym and relive some stress,” she added.

There’s always this: May 6, 2016 is move out day for AIC students. If you want to be in a great mood on move out day, crack down right now and excel. It’s ultimately your choice, pick where you want to be this semester!