YJ sports weekend

Justin Lipscomb, Staff Writer

What a weekend to be an AIC Yellow Jacket!

Shooting three pointers, going in for a kill or a dig? Or how about winning regionals, running fast, scoring a try and maybe even scoring on the Air Force by shooting a puck?

A mid-November was a phenomenal two days for the sporting teams here at American International College.

photo from: aicyellowjackets.com

For starters the Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams got wins against another team also in the Northeast 10 conference of Saint Rose located in Albany New York.

The Golden Knights came to our home turf where our Lady Yellow Jackets beat Saint Rose with a score of 82-53. Their key players in the game where Ishanna Brown, Dana Watts, Alyssa Guyon, and Nyrie Holliman.

“After a sluggish first start to our season we were able to shake it off and come out with the win against Saint Rose,” Watts noted.

She added, “We all feel now that the nerves are shaken off we are going to be able to focus more and work better as a team.”

Men’s basketball, despite getting off to a rough start in the first half of the game, were able to fight back and even manage to leave daylight between themselves and Saint Rose, with AIC ending the game a winning score of 75 to 52.

Their key players of the game were Andrew Anderson, Adonis Williams, Xion Golding, and Isaiah Salter. It was very interesting to see a good balance of new guys on the team work so well with the vets of the team.

Adonis Williams, who is Sophomore Guard on the team, stated that they could’ve been more aggressive earlier in the game.

Williams said college basketball is a lot more physical but says he is up for the challenge and is looking forward to ranking higher in the conference.

Freshman Isaiah Salter had an amazing game as well scoring 11 points.

“I felt we played great as a team I know something’s I can do in the future is be more aggressive and help rebound more,” Salter said.

Junior Logan James also stated that they started off slow but he wouldn’t change anything because the team worked amazing with each other and trusting each other plus the process.

Moving onto the Yellow Jackets taking the Air Force in Ice Hockey.

On home turf once again the AIC hockey team manages to win with a score of 4-0. Their key players were Darius Davidson, Patrik Demel, Tobias Fladeby, and Sean Mc Bride.

Sophomore Tobias Fladebey said, “We all felt really good and we all came together stronger, confident and work extremely hard for the win.”

photo from: aicyellowjackets.com

Moving on to Championship winnings Leakey Kipkosgei won the regional championship title in the 10k race with a time of 31:11.50 to help lead the rest of the cross-country team to a second place finish.

The team as whole will be going to nationals which will be there fifth straight year the team qualifies.

With one conversion and two tries, AIC men’s rugby team were the victors in the Liberty conference championship. AIC won 15-10 in the end results against UMass.

Last but not least AIC Women’s Volleyball won the regional championship against Holy Family winning all three sets leaded by Diva Rivas Reyes with 12 kills on the court.

“We were very hungry especially losing conference, my team and I made it clear that we were going to do great today,” Rivas Reyes said.