Meet Alex Cross, an essential part of student life on campus

Leon Nguyen

AIC’s Associate Dean of Student Life, Alexander Cross.

Esterina O’Donnell , Staff Writer

Alexander Cross is the Associate Dean of Student Life. He manages Residence Life and the Center for Student Engagement. Cross has been employed at AIC for the past five years.

When asked what attracted him to AIC, Cross said, “I was drawn to the highly diverse student population.”

American International College is known for its diverse population of students from many different backgrounds. The college was established in 1885 with undergraduate and graduate programs. Many students are accepted on the merits of their excellence in school and in sports.

When Cross first joined the college, he was “excited about the opportunity that AIC provides for students.”

The Center for Student Engagement, located on the second floor of the campus center, offers a way to sign up and join different organizations and campus recreational activities. It is run by four professional staff members, of whom Cross is one. Joining and getting involved in one of these organizations is one way to make the most out of one’s college experience at AIC.

Cross assists different members in Student Life, who help create many different unique events on campus. Some functions are created by administrators, while others are created by student organizations. One student organization, the Student Activities Board (SAB), is an organization that students can join to help develop interactive programs for students. In the 2018-2019 school year, American International College hosted over 600 different programs on campus with the help of Student Life. Cross mentioned that AIC is on schedule to out-do that record this school year.

“We talk with students about what they want to see more of,” Cross explained.

Feedback and past attendance data is recorded to improve the events AIC hosts. After events, SAB and faculty come together and make judgments about the events. Upcoming events in the next month at AIC include the Transfer Students Meet and Greet, the Professional Staff Diversity and Inclusion Series—Identifying and Addressing Implicit Bias, and the Majors and Minors Fair. Attending an event is not only a way to meet with other students, faculty, and guest speakers, it is also a way to ask questions and to receive information.

Cross’s most memorable event was the first Black Excellence Ball last year. Cross assisted with advising PRIDE. Over a hundred students attended the three-hour event. He felt that different foods and music helped make this event special. This event recognized the achievements and celebrated black excellence of students on campus.

Cross was impressed with how this event “really created a space for these students to celebrate who they are.”

The staff of Student Life preparing to welcome the class of 2023. (photo from @aiclivingoncampus on instagram)

This year, Cross is most excited about the 2019 Homecoming at American International College. He loves seeing the students coming out, supporting, and cheering for the Yellow Jackets. This year’s Homecoming weekend will be hosted on October 25–27. Homecoming weekend includes a powder-puff game, a pep rally to support the football team, tailgating, and a school dance on Saturday night. Homecoming is a way for students, faculty, and alumni of the college to get together and to help celebrate the big football game. The events over the weekend have high attendance and school spirit.

When asked how students might learn more about student clubs or other organizations and events, Cross replied, “Engage is a good way to find out about things you may not know about on campus.”

If students would like to meet with Alex Cross, his office is located on the second floor of the campus center in room SC215. Anyone is welcome to meet or contact him at any time, either by email [email protected] or by phone at (413) 205-3271.

To find out about more information and details about campus including events visit:  www.aic.edu/engage