Cubs come out on top in historic World Series

Anthony Purge, Staff Writer

The Chicago Cubs defeated the Cleveland Indians 8-7 in Game 7 of the World Series. This is the Cubs’ first title since 1908, ending a 108 year drought from winning the World Series.

This was considered one of the best World Series to date. All the drama and anxiety can tell the whole story, just by looking at the faces in the crowd during Game 7. The rain delay added to the suspense because the Indians had just tied the score to send the game to extra innings. The whole series was tight, and looked as if it was Cleveland’s time. The Indians were leading the series 3-1 over the Cubs, but the Cubs battled back to win the series 4-3.

Isaiah Tolbert, 19 of Paterson, New Jersey, is an AIC student who is an avid baseball watcher. He shared his thoughts on the World Series.

“It was interesting, because both teams were in droughts for a World Series so seeing them on top was cool,” Tolbert said. “Watching the World Series and seeing the Cleveland Indians lose a 3-1 lead, reminded me of the Cleveland Cavaliers who won the [NBA finals] series battling back from a 3-1 deficit.”

Tolbert continued by saying that “everybody roots for a comeback because it adds suspense to the storylines.”

The 2016 World Series had just that.

gettyimages-617299900-1af6589b-6ae3-46c6-8daa-95bf6901187f
Courtesy Rolling Stone

It had the comeback that everyone wants to see, coming back from being down three games to one. A comeback like that has not happened in the World Series since 1985 when the Kansas City Royals defeated the St. Louis Cardinals.

This World Series was a highly anticipated World Series. The 2016 World Series had an average of 22.8 million viewers each game. Game 7 was the most watched with about 40 million viewers. That is the largest audience for a Game 7 of the World Series since the 1991 World Series between the Minnesota Twins versus the Atlanta Braves.

Another AIC student, Destine Perry, 18 of Middletown, Conn. expressed her feelings on the World Series.

“This series was full of ups and downs and you have to commend both teams,” Perry said. “The games were either a blowout or really tight. The close games added a little twist especially in Game 7 because there was a delay and the Indians just tied the score.”

The storylines for this year’s World Series were epic. Could the Chicago Cubs end a 108 year championship drought? Can Cleveland continue their success in sports?

The city of Cleveland had been in a 52 year championship drought, but that ended when the Cleveland Cavaliers won the NBA championship in the summer. The Indians are still stuck with their 68 year curse, having not won a World Series since 1948.

Everyone was expecting Cleveland to continue the success story since the Indians jumped out to a 3-1 lead. On social media they were made fun of for losing their lead, but they have to be given credit where credit is due. They fought hard and battled back twice to tie the game up in Game 7. They were down 5-1, and they were down 6-3 and came back in the eighth inning to send the game into extra innings.

Chicago’s Ben Zobrist won the World Series MVP after hitting an RBI double in the top of the tenth inning in Game 7. Zobrist was struggling in the postseason with a batting average of .250.

The Indians decided to put the game in Zobrist hands by forcing him to make a play for his team. They took their chance because he hasn’t showed much in the postseason. He ended up coming with one of the most clutch hits in World Series history. With two strikes, Zobrist took a swing and doubled down the left field line to bring in the winning run to end the 108 year drought for Chicago.

Courtesy ABC News
Courtesy ABC News