AIC Homecoming 2017: what’s on tap

Robby Ollari, Editor-in-Chief

It’s that time of year again – Homecoming, the fall tradition that everyone at AIC looks forward to.

Homecoming weekend is always a busy time on campus and over at the athletic complex, and the 2017 edition of Homecoming is no different.

This year, the classes of 1957, 1967, 1992 and 2007 will be celebrating milestone reunion years – it’s always exciting to welcome back these milestone classes every year.

To add to the excitement, Homecoming 2017 is loaded with can’t-miss events that are sure to make this a weekend to remember. Here are some of the highlights of what’s on tap this weekend…

Friday, October 20

• The fun starts on Friday with the milestone classes gathering for a tour of campus at 4:00 p.m. followed by a meet and greet in the new-look Stinger Pub.
  • Over at the Hall of Fame Room at the Butova Gym, the annual AIC Athletic Hall of Fame induction will take place at 6:00 p.m. The Class of 2017 induction is chocked full of AIC athletic legends. This year’s inductees are:
    • William M. Condon ’77 – Hockey
    • Amber L. Radomski ’03, ’06 – Softball, Basketball, Tennis
    • Nicole R. Sullivan ’01, ’02 MSOT – Lacrosse, Soccer
    • Joseph C. Pistone ’00 – Wrestling
    • Bidemi Balogun ’12 – Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field
    • William J. Connolly, Sr. ’70 – Football
    • Alfred J. Laude ’54 – Football
    • Larry A. Freed, ’68 – Baseball
    • Gary J. Grodzicki, ’74 – Baseball, Basketball
  • Late Friday night, a Women’s Lacrosse Alumni game is scheduled for 9:00 p.m. under the lights on Abdow Field.

Saturday, October 21

• Saturday of Homecoming weekend is always a blast, with much of the activity centering around the festivities at Abdow Field. On Saturday morning, two Alumni games will kick off the day at 9:00 a.m. – a friendly touch football game on the turf and an Alumni Baseball game.
  • At 10:30 a.m., a special ceremony will take place dedicating the AIC Alumni Varsity Club Athletic Performance Center. The new performance center will be open for tours and AIC will celebrate the honor of naming the center after the Alumni Varsity Club.
  • Tailgating will of course fill the lots around the athletic complex on Saturday morning, and at 11:00 a.m. the Alumni Hospitality Tent will open in the endzone at Abdow Field.
  • The Alumni Varsity Club Barbecue will begin at 11:30 a.m., right next door.
  • The much-anticipated AIC Homecoming Football game vs. LIU-Post kicks off at noon, followed by the Tailgate After Party following the game.
  • Don’t forget to check out the Field Hockey team hosting Merrimack at 5:00 p.m., and inside Butova Gymnaisum, Women’s Volleyball will host Bentley, also at 5:00 p.m.
  • Alumnus from the milestone classes will meet for a reception and dinner at 6:00 p.m., and young, recent alumni from the classes 2010-2016 will invade the Stinger at 9:00 p.m. for another After Party.

Sunday, October 22

• Homecoming weekend will wind down on Sunday, as alumni are invited to a Homecoming “Hangover Brunch” at the Stinger at 10:00 a.m. to wrap up the weekend with mimosas and food.
  • Not to be forgotten, the NE10 Cross Country Championships will commence at 11:00 a.m. across the river at Stanley Park in Westfield.
  • And finally, one last alumni game – alumnus of the Men’s Lacrosse program are scheduled to face off against each other at 1:00 p.m. on the turf, with a postgame reception.

Homecoming 2017 at AIC is sure to be another Homecoming to remember – all of us are excited to welcome back alumni of all ages and are counting down the minutes until the celebration begins!