Olympic hockey under way

Olympic hockey under way

Natalee Giacondino, Staff Writer

Pyeongchang, South Korea – The United States women’s ice hockey team defeated the Russian Olympic team 5-0 on Tuesday, February 13.

USA stayed dominant throughout all three periods of the game, and outshot the Russians, 49-13. The Russians only managed 13 shots on goal. During the second period, Jocelyn Lamoureux-Davison scored two goals in a six-second span. Team USA has is the odds-on favorite to win the gold this year, also coming off a big win, defeating Finland 3-1.

With this win on their back, the USA team is eager to avenge their gold-medal heartbreak against Canadian rivals, Wednesday, February 14.

The history of rivalry between these two teams has gone back since women’s hockey was introduced to the Olympics at the 1998 Nagano Games.

The two teams have faced off in all of one of the five winter games. The U.S. or Canada has won every gold medal since being introduced in the Olympics.

After winning their first gold medal, the USA has been shutout to Canada in three gold medal games.The heartbreak of last games match was their worst loss yet.

The Americans were up 2-0 in the final period of the gold medal game in Sochi, 3:26 minutes away from what they thought would finally be their victory.

Then, two goals by Canada quickly put the game into overtime, with Canada’s Marie-Philip Poulin’s goal in overtime, giving Canada the gold medal.

Both teams have already landed their spots in the semi-final round, which begins February 19th.

Team Canada’s Head Coach Laura Sculer stated “It’s a great rivalry, it’s best-on-best competition. It’s exciting hockey, it’s always back and forth. It’s usually determined by one goal or goes into overtime, I’m sure that’s what you’re gonna see come in the next couple of days here …”​

Emilee Giacondino, a freshman at American International College believes that this year the USA will defeat the Canadians.

“I think their heartbreaking loss from last Olympics will strive them to victory this year” Giacondino said. “They’ve been putting their all into beating the Canadians since their first gold medal win I believe they will pull through.”

“We’re here. We’re on a mission,” Team USA captain Meghan Duggan said in an interview with NBC Olympics. “We have a job to get done.”

While the Women’s Ice Hockey is predicted for victory, the men’s team seems to be on a downfall.

The U.S. men’s ice hockey team lost its first match of the 2018 Winter Olympics after a 3-2 win from Slovenia. While the USA was leading the game 2-0 before the third period, Slovenia tied up the game with just 1:37 left. Slovenia then scored the game-winning goal in overtime.

The NHL chose not to send players to the 2018 over costs and injury risks. This decision made it the first time in 20 years that NHL athletes could not play in the Olympics Games. This decision also dramatically altered the roster of the team.

Freshman Brianna O’Brien stated, “I find it shocking that the team is not as strong, especially after the Miracle on Ice in the 1980 Olympic Games in Lake Placid. With the team not able to have NHL players I find it hard to believe that they team will go far in the games.”

The Women’s hockey team starts off the games 0-2, while the Men’s team starts 0-1.