AIC Yellow Jacket

Homecoming football: A grand tradition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming football: A grand tradition

RJB Sports

RJB Sports

RJB Sports

Justin Lipscomb, Staff Writer

AIC’s Oct. 13 homecoming football game against the New Haven Chargers was one for the books.

The last time these two teams met it was in September of 2017 with a score of 20 to 19 the Chargers winning the game.

This time around the AIC Yellow Jackets were amped up to change things around; especially on a cold wet morning. The game started at noon sharp, and already it was a full house of fans eager to watch a game of football, so many family members had on their AIC gear on. Other AIC teams were also there to support the football team, some teams making food to sell, taking pictures right on the field or just handing out noisy instruments to help make a lot of noise and cheer on the Yellow Jackets.

After an electrifying game from AIC taking an early lead of 7 to 6 in the first quarter, to the chargers coming back to 13-7 in the second quarter, 20 to 10 in the 3rdand ultimately beating the Yellow Jackets 33 to 13 in the final and fourth quarter.

It was very upsetting to AIC lose after giving everything they had and really showcasing a stupendous job on the field. The thing more exciting than the football was actually seeing good friends and former teammates compete against each other during the game.

The dynamic of two very close friends and their quarter back on opposing teams really sets the tone for the day, Kyle Boyer- Tucker is a graduate student going for his Forensic Psychology master’s degree, Boyer-Tucker is a redshirt junior on the football field and his position is Wide Receiver.

Boyer-Tucker commented on the game.

“We knew the homecoming game was going to be a four quarter game, but it just didn’t play out as we would’ve liked it to,” he said. “Penalties and mental mistakes is a big reason why we ended up losing the game late.”

Boyer-Tucker played the game against his good long-time friend, roommate, and teammate at one point, Ju’an Williams, who is now playing for New Haven.

“Ju’an and I speak about it everyday and this game was very highly anticipated by both sides,” Boyer-Tucker said.

“It’s always fun being on the field with him, you know he was my roommate, one of my closest friends at AIC, I will say it was definitely different seeing him in an opposing jersey,” he added.

The quarterback of AIC was next to answer the same questions and he gave a different but great energy response as well. Red shirt senior on the field but in the MBA program in college, Kwame Jarvis is the quarterback of the team stated that he felt like it was a very good game at the beginning.

“It was a good back and forth, both teams came to play but in the end we made a lot of mentally mistakes so it cost the game in the end,” said Jarvis. “For me the thing I would have done differently is finish out the game the right way instead of the mental mistakes.”

He later followed his views on the game with a reflection as well seeing his old teammate with a different jersey on.

“It was good to see Ju’an out there,” Jarvis said. “Even though It was different to see him on a different team after playing with him for almost our whole college career. Ultimately I am happy he is still doing his thing and wish him the best for the future.”

AIC will have two more on the road games, first at Southern Connecticut and then at Merrimack and those two games should be great match ups especially SCSU.

1 Comment

One Response to “Homecoming football: A grand tradition”

1. Denise Greene-Tobe on October 24th, 2018 11:30 am

My son gose to AIC and every homecoming my family comes to tailgate I cook food for my son his teammates and fellow student body. I enjoy it and always have the best time cooking and feeding everyone I love everyone at AIC THANK YOU FOR TAKING GOOD CARE OF MY SON

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Homecoming football: A grand tradition

Featured Sports

AIC sports rock it

Featured Sports

There’s a new coach in town

Featured Sports

AIC Hockey looks to reach new heights

Featured Sports

Spring football at AIC — back to the grind

Featured Sports

AIC Women’s Lacrosse season underway

Featured Sports

Bermuda Sevens champs, a big win for AIC women’s rugby

Editorial

Colin Kaepernick’s resilience won’t fade away

Featured Sports

New AIC women’s rugby coach on board

Featured Sports

Super Bowl LII recap

Featured Sports

Opening ceremonies kick off 2018 Winter Olympics

The student news site of American International College
Homecoming football: A grand tradition